DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS
Department of MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS
From Mathematics, Statistics and Physics Department, the department was reformed as the Department of Mathematics and Physics due to the creation of the Department of Statistics which was approved by the Board of Regents (BOR) Resolution No. 10-2000 on February 7, 2000. The department caters the BS Mathematics (BS Math) degree program. The BS Math curriculum was first designed based on CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 19 Series 2007. The proposal of designing the curriculum and offering of the degree was headed by Dr. Amelia Z. Daquioag, the Department Chair during that time. The offering of the degree program was approved by BOR Resolution No. 28-2010 on June 10, 2010. Along with the implementation of the K-12 program in the educational system of the Philippines, the curriculum was revised based on CMO No. 48 Series 2017. The revised curricula were approved by BOR Resolution No. 42-2018 on September 13, 2018. The degree program is a four-year course that provides substantial exposure to the breadth and depth of mathematics from classical to contemporary, and from theoretical to applied. It covers foundational courses in core area of mathematics as well as advanced courses that will help prepare graduates to pursue higher studies or work in a variety of fields.
To become globally recognized for academic excellence and innovative research in mathematics, physics, and allied fields and to be relevant in nation-building.
The Department of Mathematics and Physics as a Center of Excellence in Mathematics committed to provide students with quality learning and formative research experiences.
The Department of Mathematics and Physics will:
- Provide high quality education in mathematics and physics that support effective student learning;
- Equip students with knowledge and skills in mathematics and physics necessary for success in their future careers and/or graduate studies;
- Produce graduate who are mathematically and scientifically competent, work-ready with strong work ethics, and socially responsible
- Conduct research that will improve the quality of mathematics and physics education, increase productivity and agricultural development in the country, and offer mathematically and scientifically-based results to guide in policy- and decision-making
- To produce students with working knowledge in mathematics and physics necessary for a career in actuary, finance, research, industry and the academe.
- To develop students’ analytical and logical thinking skills for them to become better problem solver.
- To develop the ability of the students to conduct research on various topics in mathematics and physics.
- To instill in the students, the sense of nationalism, culture of excellence, civic consciousness, integrity, and teamwork.